Re: revised hstore patch

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: revised hstore patch
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 7:25 PM, Tom Lane<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Or maybe we should think about having two versions of hstore.  This
> is all tied up in the problem of having a decent module infrastructure
> (which I hope somebody is working on for 8.5).

A decent module infrastructure is probably not going to fix this
problem unless it links with -ldwiw.  There are really only two
options here:

- Keep the old version around for compatibility and add a new version
that isn't compatible, plus provide a migration path from the old
version to the new version.

- Make the new version read the format written by the old version.

(I am also not aware that anyone is working on the module
infrastructure problem, though of course that doesn't mean that no-one
is; but the point is that's neither here nor there as respects the
present problem.  The module infrastructure is just a management layer
around the same underlying issues.)

...Robert