Re: PQinitSSL broken in some use casesf

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: PQinitSSL broken in some use casesf
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 11:09 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Why not just call PQinitSSL(true) and do everything in your
> application?;  from the libpq manual:
>
>   If you are using <acronym>SSL</> inside your application (in addition
>   to inside <application>libpq</application>), you can use
>   <function>PQinitSSL(int)</> to tell <application>libpq</application>
>   that the <acronym>SSL</> library has already been initialized by your
>   application.

I think this question has been answered about four times on this
thread already.  I thought the OP's explanation was pretty clear:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-01/msg02488.php

It's also re-explained here, here, and here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/b42b73150902100713mdbfd64ah706ced5170897a59@mail.gmail.com
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/603c8f070902100849n44034028p5423f18e6e1b9317@mail.gmail.com
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/b42b73150902101420m6c263f7ayafc10090af841e15@mail.gmail.com

The point is that there are three sane things you might want/need
PQinitSSL() to do, and we allow two of them.  I think the request for
a behavior change is totally reasonable, but I think Andrew or Merlin
should be the ones to write the patch (and then others can review).  I
am not in love with the idea of using PQinitSSL(SOME_MAGIC_VALUE) for
this purpose, but haven't read the code enough to determine the
least-ugly API.

...Robert