Re: In-place upgrade: catalog side

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: In-place upgrade: catalog side
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Not being familiar with the code, my assumption was that it would be
> possible to push all the tuples involved off to another page as if they'd
> been updated, with WAL logging and everything, similarly to the ideas that
> keep getting kicked around for creating extra space for header expansion.
> Almost the same code really, just with the target of moving everything that
> references the dead column rather than moving just enough to create the
> space needed.  Actually doing the upgrade on the page itself does seem quite
> perilous.

For in-place upgrade, you can tell which pages have been converted and
which have not by looking at the page header, so you can put a switch
into the code to handle each version appropriately.  I don't think
that would be possible in this case without purpose-built
infrastructure.  It might be possible to lock out writers only and
rewrite the table in a new file though, disk space permitting.

...Robert