Re: [HACKERS] drop support for Python 2.3

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: [HACKERS] drop support for Python 2.3
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 02/07/2017 11:49 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I would like to propose that we drop support for Python 2.3.
>> We do have buildfarm coverage on prairiedog.  However, that runs a >10
>> year old operating system, so I think it is not representing real usage.
> I have no particular objection to dropping 2.3 support, but should we
> make some effort to fail gracefully (ie, with a relevant error message)
> on older versions?  I would guess that the effect of your patch will be
> to produce quite opaque failures.  We seem to be computing python_version
> in configure, so it shouldn't be that hard to check.
>
>> - It's unlikely that Python 2.3 is still used in practice.  Python 2.4
>> is in RHEL 5, which is the typically the oldest mainstream OS we look at.
> Hm, is there anything running 2.4 in the buildfarm?  If we're going to
> claim support for 2.4, we'd be well advised to test it.

   with top as (select distinct on (sysname) sysname, snapshot from   build_status_recent_500 where branch = 'HEAD'
orderby sysname,   snapshot desc ) select * from top where exists (select 1 from   build_status_log l where l.sysname =
top.sysnameand l.snapshot =   top.snapshot and l.branch = 'HEAD' and l.log_stage = 'config.log'   and l.log_text ~
'python2\.4');

This returns no rows.

Maybe we need to set up a Centos5 or RHEL 5 animal.

cheers

andrew