Re: [DOCS] adduser is missing --system

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [DOCS] adduser is missing --system
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
> Please note as well that this has been added to the documentation of Postgres
> 10 with this commit:

Yeah.  I think Peter should back-patch that, but he hasn't yet.

The issue might be moot as of v10 anyway, because of this other commit:

Author: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
Branch: master Release: REL_10_STABLE [ecb0d20a9] 2016-10-09 18:03:45 -0400
   Use unnamed POSIX semaphores, if available, on Linux and FreeBSD.      We've had support for using unnamed POSIX
semaphoresinstead of System V   semaphores for quite some time, but it was not used by default on any   platform.
Sincemany systems have rather small limits on the number of   SysV semaphores allowed, it seems desirable to switch to
POSIXsemaphores   where they're available and don't create performance or kernel resource   problems.  Experimentation
byme shows that unnamed POSIX semaphores   are at least as good as SysV semaphores on Linux, and we previously had   a
reportfrom Maksym Sobolyev that FreeBSD is significantly worse with   SysV semaphores than POSIX ones.  So adjust those
twoplatforms to use   unnamed POSIX semaphores, if configure can find the necessary library   functions.  If this goes
well,we may switch other platforms as well,   but it would be advisable to test them individually first.

We didn't think about the systemd angle at the time, but this change
might make PG reasonably systemd-proof even without direct protection
from RemoveIPC.  I've not tried to experiment though.