Question regarding the file system

От Gabriele Bartolini
Тема Question regarding the file system
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hi guys,

    I have been given a dual PIII with 768MB RAM and I am going to install
PostgreSQL on it, for data warehousing reasons. I have also been given four
160 Ultra SCSI disks (36MB each) with a RAID controller (Adaptec 2100). I
am going to use a RAID5 architecture (this gives me approximately 103 GB of
data) and install a Debian Linux on it: this machine will be dedicated
exclusively to PostgreSQL.

    I was wondering which file system you suggest me: ext3 or reiserfs?
Also, I was thinking of using the 2.6.x kernel which offers a faster thread
support: will PostgreSQL gain anything from it or should I stick with 2.4.x?

Thank you very much,
-Gabriele
--
Gabriele Bartolini: Web Programmer, ht://Dig & IWA/HWG Member, ht://Check
maintainer
 > "Leave every hope, ye who enter!", Dante Alighieri, Divine Comedy, The
Inferno

---