Re: XFS filessystem for Datawarehousing -2

От Denis Lussier
Тема Re: XFS filessystem for Datawarehousing -2
Дата
Список pgsql-performance

I was kinda thinking that making the Block Size configurable at InitDB time would be a nice & simple enhancement for PG 8.3.  My own personal rule of thumb for sizing is 8k for OLTP, 16k for mixed use, & 32k for DWH.

I have no personal experience with XFS, but, I've seen numerous internal edb-postgres test results that show that of all file systems... OCFS 2.0 seems to be quite good for PG update intensive apps (especially on 64 bit machines).

On 8/1/06, Luke Lonergan <llonergan@greenplum.com> wrote:
Milen,

On 8/1/06 3:19 PM, "Milen Kulev" <makulev@gmx.net> wrote:

> Sorry, forgot to ask:
> What is the recommended/best  PG block size for DWH  database?  16k, 32k, 64k
> ?
> What hsould be the relation  between XFS/RAID stripe size and PG block size ?

We have found that the page size in PG starts to matter only at very high
disk performance levels around 1000MB/s.  Other posters have talked about
maintenance tasks improving in performance, but I haven't seen it.

- Luke

               http://archives.postgresql.org