Re: Performances with new Intel Core* processors

От Denis Lussier
Тема Re: Performances with new Intel Core* processors
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
My theory, based entirely on what I have read in this thread, is that a low end server (really a small workstation) with an Intel Dual Core CPU is likely an excellent PG choice for the lowest end.

I'll try to snag an Intel Dual Core workstation in the near future and report back DBT2 scores comparing it to a similarly equiped 1 socket AMD dual core workstation.   I'll keep the data size small to fit entirely in RAM so the DBT2 isn't it's usual disk bound dog when you run it the "right" way (according to tpc-c guidelines).

--Denis
   Dweeb from EnterpriseDB

On 8/1/06, Florian Weimer <fweimer@bfk.de> wrote:
* Arjen van der Meijden:

> For a database system, however, processors hardly ever are the main
> bottleneck, are they?

Not directly, but the choice of processor influences which
chipsets/mainboards are available, which in turn has some impact on
the number of RAM slots.  (According to our hardware supplier, beyound
8 GB, the price per GB goes up sharply.)  Unfortunately, it seems that
the Core 2 Duo mainboards do not change that much in this area.

--
Florian Weimer                <fweimer@bfk.de>
BFK edv-consulting GmbH       http://www.bfk.de/

       match