Re: Understanding max_locks_per_transaction

От Ron
Тема Re: Understanding max_locks_per_transaction
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 10/16/23 14:31, Craig McIlwee wrote:
> That's what we've already done for the short term solution.  It is
> somewhat in conflict with your statement regarding the number of lockable
> objects not holding still for long, though.  As time goes on and our
> scheduled jobs automatically create new monthly partitions, or as our
> schema evolves, we may eventually hit the limits again.  That's why we'd
> like to create some formula that can estimate the
> max_locks_per_transaction value we should configure (with the previously
> mentioned multiplier for safety / future proofing).  An alternative would
> be to precreate all partitions we anticipate needing so we don't get
> surprises down the line, but then we incur extra planning cost for tables
> that will stay empty for months or even years.

Just set max_locks_per_transaction to Something Big, and go on to other
business.  16384 worked for us, after slowly inching up towards 1000. Tom's
response let me not worry about setting "so big", and we haven't had any
problems since.

--
Born in Arizona, moved to Babylonia.