Re: Access a newer Version of PGDB (v13) with an older libpq (v10 x86)

От Wolfgang Rißler
Тема Re: Access a newer Version of PGDB (v13) with an older libpq (v10 x86)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Am 30.04.2021 um 13:00 schrieb Laurenz Albe:
> On Fri, 2021-04-30 at 10:49 +0200, Wolfgang Rißler wrote:
>> we are (unfortunately) on windows with our DB and our application.
>> Now we want to switch to a new version of Postgres, because we want to
>> use logical replication (to replace our old Postgres 8.3 with
>> slony-replication).
>>
>> The problem is, that our application (IDE MS-VisualStudio, C++) has to
>> be 32bit, because of some old 32bit-dll's, which we cant kick out at the
>> moment.
>> So I compiled a libpqxx with the last 32bit libpq (which is v10).
>>
>> I tried to access a PostgresDB 64bit v10, and it worked very nice.
>> So my question is, could (or should) we rather use PostgresDB v13 (to
>> get the newest) or should we stay on PostgresDB v10 (to be more
>> compatible to our libpq/libpqxx).
>
> Use the latest PostgreSQL client if you can, it shouldn't be a problem.
>
> Yours,
> Laurenz Albe

Thanks for answering, but
I didn't ask for a PostgreSQL client. I asked for the c-language-lib
libpq. (which is maybe used by some clients).
I would use the latest libpq, but I cant, because our c++-project stucks
in 32bit architecture. The latest 32bit pqlib is that from v10.

Can I access a PostgreSQL v13 Database with this pqlib safely?

--

Wolfgang Rißler
mailto: wolfgang.rissler@freenet.de