Re: pgtune

От Steve Erickson
Тема Re: pgtune
Дата
Список pgadmin-support

Sheldon –

Thanks.  I saw where the last release was 10/29/2009.  I was mainly wondering if the results were a holistic evaluation or just applying a set computation for each variable independent of the others.  We’re running 48 GB of memory, a database size of over 700 GB and daily traffic over 300,000 new entries.  The customer doesn’t do many queries but, when they do, they are complex and can take a long time.  Thus, I’m trying to manage the settings to handle the input efficiently but also to provide resources for queries to execute in a timely manner.

Thank You,

Steve Erickson

From: Strauch, Sheldon [mailto:sstrauch@enova.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2014 10:52 AM
To: Steve Erickson
Cc: pgAdmin Support
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-support] pgtune

pgTune is a nice utility for tuning Postgres running on an 80386 with 12 MB of memory.

Seriously, it is dated and will produce erroneous indications for remediation. If one follows those indications blindly, particularly given our large-memory servers, the results will likely be catastrophically bad.