Re: Changes to pg_dump/psql following collation "C" in the catalog

От Daniel Verite
Тема Re: Changes to pg_dump/psql following collation "C" in the catalog
Дата
Re: Changes to pg_dump/psql following collation "C" in the catalog  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
    Tom Lane wrote:

> "Daniel Verite" <daniel@manitou-mail.org> writes:
> > One consequence of using the "C" collation in the catalog versus
> > the db collation is that pg_dump -t with a regexp may not find
> > the same tables as before. It happens when these conditions are
> > all met:
> > - the collation of the database is not "C"
> > - the regexp has locale-dependant parts
> > - the names to match include characters that are sensitive to
> > locale-dependant matching
>
> Hm, interesting.
>
> > It seems that to fix that, we could qualify the references to columns such
> > as "relname" and "schema_name" with COLLATE "default" clauses in the
> > queries that use pattern-matching in client-side tools, AFAICS
> > pg_dump and psql.
>
> Seems reasonable.  I was initially worried that this might interfere with
> query optimization, but some experimentation says that the planner
> successfully derives prefix index clauses anyway (which is correct,
> because matching a fixed regex prefix doesn't depend on locale).
>
> It might be better to attach the COLLATE clause to the pattern constant
> instead of the column name; that'd be less likely to break if sent to
> an older server.
>
> > Before going any further with this idea, is there agreement that it's an
> > issue to address and does this look like the best way to do that?
>
> That is a question worth asking.  We're going to be forcing people to get
> used to this when working directly in SQL, so I don't know if masking it
> in a subset of tools is really a win or not.

I think psql and pg_dump need to adjust, just like the 3rd party tools
will, at least those that support collation-aware search in the catalog.
PFA a patch that implements the slight changes needed.

I'll add an entry for it in the next CF.

Best regards,
--
Daniel Vérité
Twitter: @DanielVerite