Re: effective_io_concurrency's steampunk spindle maths

От Michael Banck
Тема Re: effective_io_concurrency's steampunk spindle maths
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On Mon, Mar 02, 2020 at 06:28:41PM +1300, Thomas Munro wrote:
> Should we rename it?  Here are my first suggestions:
>
> maintenance_random_page_prefetch_degree
>
> Rationale for this naming pattern:
[...]
> * "maintenance_" prefix is like other GUCs that establish (presumably
> larger) limits for processes working on behalf of many user sessions

I'm a bit skeptical about this - at least in V12 there's only two GUCs
with 'maintenance' in the name:  maintenance_work_mem and
max_parallel_maintenance_workers. Both are used for utility commands and
do not apply to regular user queries while (AFAICT) your proposal is not
limited to utility commands. So I think if you name it
'maintenance'-something, people will assume it only involves VACUUM or
so.

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Projektleiter / Senior Berater

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
USt-ID-Nummer: DE204566209
Trompeterallee 108, 41189 Mönchengladbach

Unser Umgang mit personenbezogenen Daten unterliegt
folgenden Bestimmungen: https://www.credativ.de/datenschutz

Сообщение: Re: effective_io_concurrency's steampunk spindle maths
Сообщение: Re: effective_io_concurrency's steampunk spindle maths