Re: RFC: pg_stat_logmsg

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: RFC: pg_stat_logmsg
Дата
Re: RFC: pg_stat_logmsg
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

I noticed this patch hasn't moved since September 2023, so I wonder
what's the main blocker / what is needed to move this?

As for the feature, I've never done a fleet-wide analysis, so if this is
one of the main use cases, I'm not really sure I can judge if this is a
good tool for that. It seems like it might be a convenient way to do
that, but does that require we add the module to contrib?

As for the code, I wonder if the instability of line numbers could be a
problem - these can change (a little bit) between minor releases, so
after an upgrade we'll read the dump file with line numbers from the old
release, and then start adding entries with new line numbers. Do we need
to handle this in some way?

This might be partially solved by eviction of entries from the old
release - we apply decay, so after a while their usage will be 0. But
what if there's no pressure for space, we'll not actually evict them.
And it'll be confusing to have a mix of old/new line numbers.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company