Re: Extrapolating performance expectation

От Rob Sargent
Тема Re: Extrapolating performance expectation
Дата
Список pgsql-sql

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 6:47 AM, Kenneth Marshall <ktm@rice.edu> wrote:
On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 10:04:46PM -0600, Rob Sargent wrote:
> Can one extrapolate future performance expectations for ever-growing tables
> from a given (non-trivial) data set, and if so with what curve?  Corollary:
> what would one expect a performance curve to approximate in terms of query
> execution time v. number of data rows (hardware, load staying constant).
>
> I have user and group information on system usage.  I would like to be able
> to do year-to-date counts per user given a single group id but in the data
> for one business quarter the query is taking in between 10 and 60+  seconds
> depending on both on the size of the group and the group's total usage.
> Groups typically have 10-100 users and consume 20K - 80K records in a 9M
> record data set.  Group id column is indexed, but it is not the primary
> index.  (Sad note: two pseudo groups account for 50 percent of the total
> records IIRC (and will never be used for the usage-by-group query below)
>
> This is a single table query:
>
> select user_id, element_type, count(*)
> from dataset
> where group_id = N
> group by user_id, element_type
> order by user_id, element_type
>
> Is this the sort of situation which might benefit from increasing the number
> of histogram bins (alter table alter column statistics (N>10))?
>
> Any and all pointers appreciated,

Rob,

What about partitioning the table based on the group. Then you could
put the two pseudo groups in their own separate child table.

Cheers,
Ken

Ken,

Interesting point.  I'm hoping the psuedo groups are on the verge of extinction but will certainly investigate the possibility.

R.

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления: