Re: [NOVICE] IDE/Platform question

От Gavin Flower
Тема Re: [NOVICE] IDE/Platform question
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
On 12/08/17 03:27, Tanstaafl wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> First, I'm not a programmer OR a DBA, I'm a general purpose sysadmin,
> but I am sitting in on preliminary discussions regarding a new
> application project that will be dealing with a LOT of data, and will
> need to be able to scale out (ie, SaaS) well, and be performant.
>
> This will actually be a rewrite of a failed earlier project that used
> ASP.NET is running on Windows Servers, using Microsoft SQL-Server as the DB.
>
> I want to recommend that we use PostgreSQL rather than SQL-Server, but I
> am fairly sure that the developers will want to use both Visual Studio
> (not sure if it will be the free VSCode, or the full version) and the
> new .NET core that will run on linux for the framework.
>
> So... is there decent integrated support for PostgreSQL in Visual Studio
> and/or for .NET Core? Any suggestions for a different IDE that would
> have better support for PostgreSQL?
>
> Would also appreciate some tips/pointers for how I might be able to
> persuade them from sticking with a Windows centric solution, especially
> for the SQL DB side.
>
> Thanks

If you want performance and reliability then you definitely want to
upgrade to Linux, and PostgreSQL (pg) scales to above 1TB. Give pg
plenty of RAM (enough to hold the entire DB in RAM if you can, or at
least a reasonable working set) & use SSD's.  Don't forget to tune the
configuration parameters.

Pg 10 is at beta 3, it has more optimizations than before, and improved
parallel processing of transactions:
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/New_in_postgres_10

.Net is easier to program in than Java - however Java performs better
than .Net for heavy duty stuff (a friend of mine is a senior .Net
programmer and started many years ago with Visual Basic & uses Linux at
home, I wrote my first Java code in 1997), and is better supported in Linux.

I have heard that that Visual Studio is very good, but I've never used
it - a senior colleague uses emacs, that's too difficult for most Linux
people, it'll probably scare the pants of most Microsoft developers!  I
use a text editor and the command line utility psql (comes as part of
the pg package), and Eclipse for Java (but AndroidStudio for Android).

Note that more servers run Linux than all other O/S's put together, and
over 99% of the top Super Computers run Linux. Generally Linux uses RAM
and processing power more efficiently than Microsoft for large scale
server applications.  Linux and pg also allows you to look at the source
code - so if you really have too look that level you can (AND you can
change the code yourself, if you have too!), without signing an NDA.

All the Best,
Gavin

От: Tanstaafl
Сообщение: [NOVICE] IDE/Platform question
От: "Bee.Lists"
Сообщение: [NOVICE] Server Restart Won't Load Certificate