Re: PostgreSQL inheritance vs https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Don%27t_Do_This

От Achilleas Mantzios
Тема Re: PostgreSQL inheritance vs https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Don%27t_Do_This
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Στις 23/10/23 17:07, ο/η Christophe Pettus έγραψε:

>> On Oct 23, 2023, at 04:45, Achilleas Mantzios - cloud <a.mantzios@cloud.gatewaynet.com> wrote:
>> I believe this text is false on too many accounts. So, what's the consensus about Inheritance in PostgreSQL, I am
goingto give a talk on it in November and I wouldn't like to advertise/promote/teach something that the community has
decidedto abandon or drop. Actually I proposed several topics and they chose this one (Inheritance).

> Is the topic literally table inheritance, or really table partitioning?  Often, people who are not deeply experienced
withPostgreSQL will use the term "inheritance" to mean table partitioning, since before version 10, inheritance was the
onlymechanism for doing partitioning.  If what they really mean is partitioning, then you should focus on declarative
partitioning(the newer scheme introduced in version 10), and if you mention table inheritance at all, it should be just
tomention it's an obsolete way of doing partitioning.

> If they really did mean table inheritance, that's a pretty esoteric feature to focus on at this point.  I strongly
suspectthey meant partitioning, and are using the term "inheritance" loosely.

Hello Christophe, they mean inheritance on the data design.  They wont
be pgsql ppl, but mysql, mongodb in their majority I suspect, so they
want to hear where PgSQL can have an advantage in the enterprise.

There are many blogs from top PgSQL companies (cybertec, percona, etc)
who have praised inheritance at some point. For me (segregation ,
re-consolidation, look at the data from the POV of one subsidiary, then
the next, then the top parent company is hard to live without )

Thank you!

--
Achilleas Mantzios
  IT DEV - HEAD

От: Albrecht Dreß
Сообщение: Passing enum Parameters to User-defined C-Language Functions
От: Achilleas Mantzios
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL inheritance vs https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Don%27t_Do_This