Re: Adding SHOW CREATE TABLE

От Thomas Kellerer
Тема Re: Adding SHOW CREATE TABLE
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Nathaniel Sabanski schrieb am 12.05.2023 um 13:29:

> HN had a thread regarding the challenges faced by new users during
> the adoption of Postgres in 2023.
>
> One particular issue that garnered significant votes was the lack of
> a "SHOW CREATE TABLE" command, and seems like it would be an easy one
> to implement: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=35908991
>
> Considering the popularity of this request and its potential ease of
> implementation, I wanted to bring it to your attention, as it would
> likely enhance the user experience and alleviate some of the
> difficulties encountered by newcomers.
While it would be nice to have something like that, I don't think
it isn't really necessary. Pretty much every (GUI) SQL client provides
a way to see the DDL for objects in the database.

For psql fans \d typically is enough, and they would probably not mind
running pg_dump to get the full DDL.

I would think that especially newcomers start with a GUI client
that can do this.

If you check the source of any of the popular SQL clients that generates
the DDL for a table, then you will also quickly realize that this isn't
a trivial thing to do.

Thomas

От: Marc Millas
Сообщение: Re: Death postgres
От: FOUTE K. Jaurès
Сообщение: PG_Cron - Error Message Connection failed