Re: Contains and is contained by operators of inet datatypes

От Andreas Karlsson
Тема Re: Contains and is contained by operators of inet datatypes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Review

- Applies and passes the test suite.

- I think this is a good change since it increases the consistency of
the operators. I also like the choice of <<@ and @>> since they feel
intuitive to me.

- I tested it and both old and new operators use the brin and gist indexes.

- The new spgist index does not support the old deprecated operators,
which is intentional. I do not have a strong opinion here either way but
some people may find this surprising.

- I am not convinced that your changes to the descriptions of the
operators necessarily make things clearer. For example "is contained by
and smaller network (subnet)" only mentions subnets and not IP-addresses.

- Maybe change "deprecated and will eventually be removed." to
"deprecated and may be removed in a future release.". I prefer that
latter wording but I am fine with either.

- Won't renaming the functions which implement risk breaking people's
applications? While the new names are a bit nicer I am not sure it is
worth doing.

- The changes to the code look generally good.

Andreas