Re: [pgsql-jobs] Looking for database hosting

От Andrew Hammond
Тема Re: [pgsql-jobs] Looking for database hosting
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 8/19/07, Luke Lonergan <LLonergan@greenplum.com> wrote:

Andrew,

I'd say that commodity systems are the fastest with postgres - many have seen big slowdowns with high end servers.  'Several orders of magnitude' is not possible by just changing the HW,

Going from one or two SATA disks to a SAN farm ought to achieve orders of magnitude in improvement. And cost. Going from 2GB of memory up to 16 or 32GB can make significant changes as well. However I agree with you that intelligence at the application layer such that you can take advantage of a parallel approach is a superior solution both in terms of overall effectiveness and cost effectiveness.

you've got a SW problem to solve first.  We have done 100+ times faster than both Postgres and popular (even gridded) commercial DBMS using an intrinsically parallel SW approach.

That is both cool and unsurprising at the same time. One of the major challenges I've seen in practice is that small companies don't generally start off with a db design that's capable of a parallel approach. With success and growth, there comes a point where a massive re-design is needed. Companies that recognize this, make the investment and take the risk are rare.

If the objective is OLAP / DSS there's no substitute for a parallel DB that does query and load / transform using all the CPUs and IO channels simultaneously.  This role is best met from a value standpoint by clustering commodity systems.

For OLTP, we need better SMP and DML algorithmic optimizations for concurrency, at which point big SMP machines work.  Right now you can buy a 32 CPU commodity (opteron) machine from SUN (X4600) for about $60K loaded.

WRT hosting, we've done a bit of it on GPDB systems, but we're not making it a focus area.  Instead, we do subscription pricing by the amount of data used and recommend / help get systems set up.

- Luke

Msg is shrt cuz m on ma treo