Re: Updatable Cursors, CTID, and Views

От Mark Dexter
Тема Re: Updatable Cursors, CTID, and Views
Дата
Список pgsql-odbc
It appears from my initial testing that, if you create the view with the CTID and OID columns and then add rules for UPDATE, INSERT, and DELETE, that you can have an updatable cursor against the view.  It would be nice if there was an automated way to create the rules needed to make a view updatable.  I think it would be possible, since the rule just has to reference each column in the table (for INSERT and UPDATE) and reference the primary key fields in the WHERE clause.  This could be similar to the PRIMARY KEY clause in the CREATE TABLE statement, where it automatically adds an index for you.

BTW, if I do this in my live database, I'm going to end up with about 1500 views (I have about 1700 tables) and about 4500 rules (3 rules per view  -- one each for UPDATE, INSERT, and DELETE).  I assume having this many objects is not going to cause any performance or other problems?

Thanks very much for your help with this.  Mark Dexter
-----Original Message-----
From: Janet Borschowa [mailto:borschow@roguewave.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 9:18 AM
To: Mark Dexter; pgsql-odbc@postgresql.org
Cc: 'Dave Page'
Subject: RE: [ODBC] Updatable Cursors, CTID, and Views

Hi,
I believe that Hiroshi probably used the ctid because views are not updateable. It looks like you have to do extra work to update a view and in that case, I'm not sure how a cursor in the driver would be implemented as there needs to be a way to uniquely identify a row which is why Hiroshi used the ctid column.

From the PostgreSQL docs for the SQL statement "CREATE VIEW":

Description

CREATE VIEW defines a view of a query. The view is not physically materialized. Instead, the query is run every time the view is referenced in a query.

Notes

Currently, views are read only: the system will not allow an insert, update, or delete on a view. You can get the effect of an updatable view by creating rules that rewrite inserts, etc. on the view into appropriate actions on other tables. For more information see CREATE RULE.

Sorry I can't be of help but I don't know if or how you could define a view with a ctid column and appropriate rules to enable the driver to use a cursor on it.

Janet Borschowa
Software Engineer, Database Products
Rogue Wave Software, a QUOVADX(tm) Division
(541) 753-1931   FAX: (541) 757-4630