Re: wal buffers documentation -errata

От Dave Cramer
Тема Re: wal buffers documentation -errata
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 11-Jan-07, at 12:49 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com> writes:
>> the point is that the documentation suggests that the default is 8
>> not 8MB, but 8, when in fact the defaults are now given in memory
>> units not pages
>
> Oh, I thought you were complaining that the value was numerically
> wrong.
>
> Perhaps we should convert the documentation to show the defaults in a
> units-ified way, but if so it needs to be done consistently.  Most of
> the entries seem not to have been changed; for example shared_buffers
> is still described in blocks.

Yes, everything is described in blocks, but in the configuration file
everything (I've looked at so far) is specified in memory units.
While I appreciate the effort that went into making it somewhat
easier to use memory units I can see this being very confusing for
the average user.

I would suggest that the documentation needs to be consistent with
the example configuration file installed by initdb

Dave