Re: Using compression on TCP transfer

От Andrus
Тема Re: Using compression on TCP transfer
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi!

>It is a simple ALTER TABLE.

Client is Visual FoxPro application. It sends data with trailing spaces
sometimes and sometimes not.
In case of varchar field values will appear in database sometimes with
trailing spaces and sometimes without.
This requires major application re-design which much is more expensive than
continuing using char fields.

>You'd have to use an OpenSSL library with compression support enabled.

Should I change OpenSSL installed from standard repository in Debian server
or can it changed only for PostgreSql.
How ?

>But that will improve speed only if your workload is network bound,
>not CPU bound (in which case performance will suffer).

Server has lot of cores. Top shows that CPU usage is small.

Brausers and web servers use compression widely. Apache and IIS enable
static content compression by default.
Compression should be built in in Postgres.

Andrus.