Re: New 'pg' consolidated metacommand patch

От Mark Dilger
Тема Re: New 'pg' consolidated metacommand patch
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> On May 27, 2020, at 1:13 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 12:19 AM Mark Dilger <mark.dilger@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>
> I think it makes sense that packagers could put the LIBEXECDIR in the PATH so that 3rd-party scripts which call
pg_ctl,initdb, etc. continue to work.

> Having packages that futz with the PATH is generally a bad idea, especially those that support side-by-side
installationsof different versions. None of ours (EDBs) will be doing so.

I probably phrased that badly.  The operative word in that sentence was "could".  If we rename the binaries, people can
stillmake links to them from the old name, but if we don't rename them, then either links or PATH changes *could* be
used. I'm not trying to recommend any particular approach.  Mentioning "packagers" probably wasn't helpful, as "people"
worksjust as well in that sentence.

There is also the option of not moving the binaries at all, and only putting new commands into libexec, while
grandfatheringexisting ones in bin.

—
Mark Dilger
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

От: Mark Dilger
Сообщение: Re: New 'pg' consolidated metacommand patch
От: Mark Dilger
Сообщение: Re: New 'pg' consolidated metacommand patch