where clauses and multiple tables

От Scott Frankel
Тема where clauses and multiple tables
Дата
Re: where clauses and multiple tables  (David W Noon <dwnoon@ntlworld.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Hello,

Is it possible to join tables in the where clause of a statement?

I ask because I have a situation where I only have access to the where
clause of a select statement on a single table, yet I want to perform
a join on multiple tables.  eg:

Given a statement as follows:

   SELECT foo.foo_id, foo.name
   FROM foo, bar
   WHERE foo.bar_id = bar.bar_id
   AND bar.name = 'martini';

I'm looking for a way to recast it so that the select and from clauses
still refer to a single table and the join referencing the second
table occurs in the where clause.  For example, something like this:

   SELECT foo.foo_id, foo.name
   FROM foo
   WHERE (SELECT * FROM foo, bar WHERE ...)
   foo.bar_id = bar.bar_id
   AND bar.name = 'martini';

I've explored the "where exists" clause, but that's not supported by
the application toolkit I'm using. AFAIK, I've only got access to
where ...

Thanks in advance!
Scott