Re: non-bulk inserts and tuple routing

От Etsuro Fujita
Тема Re: non-bulk inserts and tuple routing
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
(2018/02/05 19:43), Etsuro Fujita wrote:
> (2018/02/05 14:34), Amit Langote wrote:
>> The code in tupconv_map_for_subplan() currently assumes that it can rely
>> on all leaf partitions having been initialized.

On reflection I noticed this analysis is not 100% correct; I think what
that function actually assumes is that all sublplans' partitions have
already been initialized, not all leaf partitions.

>> Since we're breaking that
>> assumption with this proposal, that needed to be changed. So the patch
>> contained some refactoring to make it not rely on that assumption.

I don't think we really need this refactoring because since that as in
another patch you posted, we could initialize all subplans' partitions
in ExecSetupPartitionTupleRouting, I think tupconv_map_for_subplan could
be called without any changes to that function because of what I said above.

>> Here is the updated version that contains two patches as described above.
>
> Thanks for updating the patches!  I'll post my next comments in a few days.

Here are comments for the other patch (patch
v24-0002-During-tuple-routing-initialize-per-partition-ob.patch):

o On changes to ExecSetupPartitionTupleRouting:

* The comment below wouldn't be correct; no ExecInitResultRelInfo in the
patch.

-   proute->partitions = (ResultRelInfo **) palloc(proute->num_partitions *
-                                                  sizeof(ResultRelInfo *));
+   /*
+    * Actual ResultRelInfo's and TupleConversionMap's are allocated in
+    * ExecInitResultRelInfo().
+    */
+   proute->partitions = (ResultRelInfo **) palloc0(proute->num_partitions *
+                                                   sizeof(ResultRelInfo
*));

* The patch removes this from the initialization step for a subplan's
partition, but I think it would be better to keep this here because I
think it's a good thing to put the initialization stuff together into
one place.

-               /*
-                * This is required in order to we convert the partition's
-                * tuple to be compatible with the root partitioned table's
-                * tuple descriptor.  When generating the per-subplan result
-                * rels, this was not set.
-                */
-               leaf_part_rri->ri_PartitionRoot = rel;

* I think it would be better to keep this comment here.

-               /* Remember the subplan offset for this ResultRelInfo */

* Why is this removed from that initialization?

-       proute->partitions[i] = leaf_part_rri;

o On changes to ExecInitPartitionInfo:

* I don't understand the step starting from this, but I'm wondering if
that step can be removed by keeping the above setup of
proute->partitions for the subplan's partition in
ExecSetupPartitionTupleRouting.

+   /*
+    * If we are doing tuple routing for update, try to reuse the
+    * per-subplan resultrel for this partition that ExecInitModifyTable()
+    * might already have created.
+    */
+   if (mtstate && mtstate->operation == CMD_UPDATE)

That's all I have for now.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita