Re: CREATE TABLE creates a composite type corresponding to the table row, which is and is not there

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: CREATE TABLE creates a composite type corresponding to the table row, which is and is not there
Дата
Ответ на Re: CREATE TABLE creates a composite type corresponding to the table row, which is and is not there  ("David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 29.03.24 02:42, David G. Johnston wrote:
> We do use the term "stand-alone composite" in create type so I'm
> inclined to use it instead of "composite created with CREATE TYPE";
> especially in the error messages; I'm a bit more willing to add the
> cross-reference to create type in the user docs.

I'm not sure this would have helped.  If you see this in the error
message, then there is no additional guidance what a "stand-alone
composite type" and a not-"stand-alone composite type" are.

Maybe it's possible to catch the forbidden cases more explicitly and
come up with more helpful error messages along the lines of "cannot
create a typed table based on the row type of another table".