Re: Can we go beyond the standard to make Postgres radically better?

От Ron
Тема Re: Can we go beyond the standard to make Postgres radically better?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 2/10/22 10:33 PM, Raymond Brinzer wrote:
[snip]
Here's one that I think is simple:  why would we want a language where the clauses must come in a particular order?  `FROM mytable SELECT column` is as clear an expression as `SELECT column FROM mytable`, and probably better, in that it starts with the source and winnows from there.  Likewise, the order of WHERE, ORDER BY, and so on don't change what is being said.

I believe the "why" is,  "because parsing SQL is hard enough already", but that's a problem unto itself.  A language with a more regular syntax is easier to work with and improve.

The answer is obvious to every grey beard: SQL was developed from SEQUEL, Structured ENGLISH Query Language at a company that loved English-style programming languages.

"SELECT column FROM mytable WHERE condition" is a perfect declarative English sentence that any middle school grammar teacher would be proud of.

"FROM mytable SELECT column"... not so much.

Сообщение: Re: Can we go beyond the standard to make Postgres radically better?
Сообщение: Re: Can we go beyond the standard to make Postgres radically better?