Re: batch inserts are "slow"

От Christopher Petrilli
Тема Re: batch inserts are "slow"
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 5/2/05, Tim Terlegård <tim@se.linux.org> wrote:
> Howdy!
>
> I'm converting an application to be using postgresql instead of oracle.
> There seems to be only one issue left, batch inserts in postgresql seem
> significant slower than in oracle. I have about 200 batch jobs, each
> consisting of about 14 000 inserts. Each job takes 1.3 seconds in
> postgresql and 0.25 seconds in oracle. With 200 jobs this means several
> more minutes to complete the task. By fixing this I think the
> application using postgresql over all would be faster than when using
> oracle.

Just as on Oracle you would use SQL*Loader for this application, you
should use the COPY syntax for PostgreSQL.  You will find it a lot
faster.  I have used it by building the input files and executing
'psql' with a COPY command, and also by using it with a subprocess,
both are quite effective.

Chris