Re: A Bug in outDatum ?? (Not Sure )

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: A Bug in outDatum ?? (Not Sure )
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Gokulakannan Somasundaram <gokul007@gmail.com> writes:
>    The function outDatum doesn't take care of varlena structures which are
> stored externally. Is it the intention??

For its use for debugging purposes, this is a preferable behavior: it
shows you what's actually there.  For its use for storing rule trees,
it doesn't matter, because the case must never arise.  A toasted value
in a rule's Const node would be disastrous for other reasons: there'd be
no way to ensure the referenced toast value doesn't disappear while the
rule is in use.  (We've actually had bugs of that ilk; note the forced
detoast in evaluate_expr().)