Re: [HACKERS] Variable substitution in psql backtick expansion

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Variable substitution in psql backtick expansion
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Variable substitution in psql backtick expansion  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
"Daniel Verite" <daniel@manitou-mail.org> writes:
> The two-space left margin on the entire block does not add that
> much to readability, IMV, so maybe we could reclaim these
> two characters.

Well, it's a sub-list of the entire output of helpVariables(), so
I think some indentation is a good idea.

> That would look like the following, for example, with a 3-space margin
> for the description:

> AUTOCOMMIT
>    If set, successful SQL commands are automatically committed

But we could do something close to that, say two-space indent for the
variable names and four-space for the descriptions.

> To me that looks like a good trade-off: it eases the size constraints
> for both the description and the name of the variable, at the cost
> of consuming one more line per variable, but that's why the pager
> is for.

Yeah, we're already past the point where it's likely that
helpVariables()'s output would fit on one screen for anybody, so
maybe this is the best way.