Re: Requiring recovery.signal or standby.signal when recovering with a backup_label

От Laurenz Albe
Тема Re: Requiring recovery.signal or standby.signal when recovering with a backup_label
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2023-10-16 at 14:54 +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> Thanks for the review.  Yes, I am wondering if other people would
> chime in here.  It doesn't feel like this has gathered enough
> opinions.

I don't have strong feelings either way.  If you have backup_label
but no signal file, starting PostgreSQL may succeed (if the WAL
with the checkpoint happens to be in pg_wal) or it may fail with
an error message.  There is no danger of causing damage unless you
remove backup_label, right?

I cannot think of a use case where you use such a configuration on
purpose, and the current error message is more crypric than a plain
"you must have a signal file to start from a backup", so perhaps
your patch is a good idea.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe