Re: Sample configuration files

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Sample configuration files
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Vik Fearing <vik@2ndquadrant.fr> writes:
> I noticed that this patch has been marked Waiting on Author with no
> comment.  Peter, what more should I be doing right now while waiting for
> Martín's review?

FWIW, I agree with the upthread misgivings about whether this is actually
a useful effort.  Even if we installed the sample config files somewhere
(something there is not consensus for AFAICT), they would not actually
*do* anything useful as standalone files.  I suppose you are imagining
that people would either manually concatenate them onto postgresql.conf
or insert an include directive for them into postgresql.conf, but neither
of those things sound pleasant or maintainable.

Moreover, it's not clear why anyone would do that at all in the age of
ALTER SYSTEM SET.

I suggest that it'd be more fruitful to view this as a documentation
effort; that is, in each contrib module's SGML documentation file provide
a standardized section listing all its parameters and their default
settings.  That would be something that could be copied-and-pasted from
into either an editor window on postgresql.conf for the old guard, or
an ALTER SYSTEM SET command for the new.

Сообщение: Re: Useless dependency assumption libxml2 -> libxslt in MSVC scripts
Сообщение: Re: Useless dependency assumption libxml2 -> libxslt in MSVC scripts