[GENERAL] Can we not give tyrannical pedants control of #postgresql?

От Julian Paul
Тема [GENERAL] Can we not give tyrannical pedants control of #postgresql?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi all!
It's really a bad sign when some user is given operator status who is
intolerant to minor offtopic conversations that span no more than a
couple of line buffers. Witnessing a user getting kicked for asking for
my location was way beyond reasonable, considering even the channel was
rather idle. Not only that, conversations in the past have elevated to
much more heated levels with rare instances of such drastic measures.
And they've been great!
I've previously considered and advocated #postgresql as the best channel
on freenode for years, I'm not sure I can hold this perception from the
facts witnessed recently.
This particular user and a few others seem to be more inclined to
bullying behaviour quick with drastic overractions rather than stable
and calm tolerance that was appreciated in the past (I haven't been
perfect!).
I won't name names, however I've rarely seen one invoke +o privileges in
the past and rarely that such a user has shown an immature perspective
to databases and intolerant to the perspectives of others that aren't
regularly feeding the buffer.
I think a little bit of rational consideration on what kind of people
would even join #postgresql should be considered and not be so quick to
kick due to minor infractions. This leaves one to kick/ban bots and
offtopic spammers and severely abusive behaviour.

Freenode also has other options beside a +k (+q).

I think the operator status of such individuals should be revoked to be
honest. However even in regards to database design, server instances and
personal real world experience of individuals such as myself, it is
unfortunate I won't be able to share that with new users on IRC.

I hope that particular stereotypes aren't proven here, but it appears
#postgresql encourages a particular tier and makes aware of it's rigid
hierarchy. I owe alot to #postgresql but not to these particular users,
I've perhaps been idle for too long and the channel has change for the
worse, well that's not my fault. I leave it with the community to sort out.

All the best, Julian.