Re: Bootstrap DATA is a pita

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Bootstrap DATA is a pita
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 2015-03-04 10:25:58 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
>> Another advantage of this is that it would probably make git less
>> likely to fumble a rebase.  If there are lots of places in the file
>> where we have the same 10 lines in a row with occasional variations,
>> rebasing a patch could easily pick the the wrong place to reapply the
>> hunk.  I would personally consider a substantial increase in the rate
>> of such occurrences as being a cure far, far worse than the disease.
>> If you keep the entry for each function on just a couple of lines the
>> chances of this happening are greatly reduced, because you're much
>> likely to get a false match to surrounding context.

> I'm not particularly worried about this. Especially with attribute
> defaults it seems unlikely that you often have the same three
> surrounding lines in both directions in a similar region of the file.

Really?  A lot depends on the details of how we choose to lay out these
files, but you could easily blow all your safety margin on lines
containing just braces, for instance.

I'll reserve judgment on this till I see the proposed new catalog data
files, but I absolutely reject any contention that it's not something
to worry about.

> And even if it turns out to actually be bothersome, you can help
> yourself by passing -U 5/setting diff.context = 5 or something like
> that.

Um.  Good luck with getting every patch submitter to do that.