Re: Connections hang indefinitely while taking a gin index's LWLockbuffer_content lock

От Andrey Borodin
Тема Re: Connections hang indefinitely while taking a gin index's LWLockbuffer_content lock
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi!

Thanks, Alexander!
> 8 дек. 2018 г., в 6:54, Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov@gmail.com> написал(а):
>
> Yep, please find attached draft patch.

Patch seems good to me, I'll check it in more detail.
The patch gets posting item at FirstOffsetNumber instead of btree->getLeftMostChild(). This seem OK, since
dataGetLeftMostPage()is doing just the same, but with few Assert()s.

> BTW, it seems that I've another bug in GIN.  README says that
>
> "However, posting trees are only
> fully searched from left to right, starting from the leftmost leaf. (The
> tree-structure is only needed by insertions, to quickly find the correct
> insert location). So as long as we don't delete the leftmost page on each
> level, a search can never follow a downlink to page that's about to be
> deleted."
>
> But that's not really true once we teach GIN to skip parts of posting
> trees in PostgreSQL 9.4.  So, there might be a risk to visit page to
> be deleted using downlink.  But in order to get real problem, vacuum
> should past cleanup stage and someone else should reuse this page,
> before we traverse downlink.  Thus, the risk of real problem is very
> low.  But it still should be addressed.

There's a patch above in this thread 0001-Use-correct-locking-protocol-during-GIN-posting-tree.patch where I propose
stampingevery deleted page with GinPageSetDeleteXid(page, ReadNewTransactionId()); and avoid reusing the page before
TransactionIdPrecedes(GinPageGetDeleteXid(page),RecentGlobalDataXmin).
Should we leave alone this bug for future fixes to keep current fix noninvasive?

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.

Сообщение: Re: extended query protcol violation?
Сообщение: Re: extended query protcol violation?