Re: add recovery, backup, archive, streaming etc. activity messages to server logs along with ps display

От Bossart, Nathan
Тема Re: add recovery, backup, archive, streaming etc. activity messages to server logs along with ps display
Дата
Ответ на add recovery, backup, archive, streaming etc. activity messages to server logs along with ps display  (Bharath Rupireddy <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com>)
Ответы Re: add recovery, backup, archive, streaming etc. activity messages to server logs along with ps display  (Bharath Rupireddy <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com>)
Re: add recovery, backup, archive, streaming etc. activity messages to server logs along with ps display  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 11/10/21, 9:43 AM, "Bharath Rupireddy" <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com> wrote:
> As discussed in [1], isn't it a better idea to add some of activity
> messages [2] such as recovery, archive, backup, streaming etc. to
> server logs at LOG level? They are currently being set into ps display
> which is good if the postgres is being run on a standalone box/VM
> where users can see the ps display, but it doesn't help much in case
> the postgres is being run on a cloud environment where users don't
> have access to ps display output. Moreover, the ps display is
> transient and will not help to analyze after an issue occurs.
>
> Having the above messages in the server logs will be useful to
> understand how the system is/was doing/progressing with these
> (sometimes time-intensive) operations.

I think this would make the logs far too noisy for many servers.  For
archiving alone, this could cause tens of thousands more log messages
per hour on a busy system.  I think you can already see such
information at a debug level, anyway.

Nathan