Re: FrozenTransactionId

От Egor Rogov
Тема Re: FrozenTransactionId
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On 06.09.2016 15:41, Tom Lane wrote:
> Egor Rogov <e.rogov@postgrespro.ru> writes:
>>> Please find another patch attached. I hope it is a bit easier to
>>> review now.
> Hmm.  I do not actually see anything wrong with the existing text:
> it does not say that FrozenTransactionId is what appears on disk,
> it says that frozen tuples are treated as if their xmin were
> FrozenTransactionId.  That's an accurate description of the current
> implementation.  I'm not sure that removing all mention of special
> XIDs is a good thing, especially since they will still exist on-disk
> in pg_upgrade'd installations.

Okay, I see my mistake now: this old FrozenTransactionId mechanics is
still valid to support upgraded installations.
Anyway, while the description is technically accurate, it is misleading.
Right, it does not say that FrozenTransactionId is what appears on disk,
but what is? There is no such information anywhere in the doc. Since 9.4
frozen transactions have their normal XIDs preserved, so how a user can
tell normal transaction from frozen one? This is what needs to be
explained, I believe.