Re: Why we lost Uber as a user

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Why we lost Uber as a user
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 07/28/2016 03:58 AM, Geoff Winkless wrote:
> On 27 July 2016 at 17:04, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us
> <mailto:bruce@momjian.us>>wrote:
>
>     Well, their big complaint about binary replication is that a bug can
>     spread from a master to all slaves, which doesn't happen with statement
>     level replication.
>

> ​
> ​I'm not sure that that makes sense to me. If there's a database bug
> that occurs when you run a statement on the master, it seems there's a
> decent chance that that same bug is going to occur when you run the same
> statement on the slave.
>
> Obviously it depends on the type of bug and how identical the slave is,
> but statement-level replication certainly doesn't preclude such a bug
> from propagating.​

That's correct, which is why I ignored that part of their post.

However, we did have issues for a couple of years where replication
accuracy was poorly tested, and did have several bugs associated with
that.  It's not surprising that a few major users got hit hard by those
bugs and decided to switch.

Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS
(any opinions are my own)