Re: Design for In-Core Logical Replication

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Design for In-Core Logical Replication
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 07/20/2016 01:08 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:

> <!-- doc/src/sgml/logical-replication.sgml -->
>
> <chapter id="logical-replication">
>
>    <title>Logical Replication</title>
>    <para>
>      Logical Replication is a method of replicating data objects and their
>      changes, based upon their Primary Keys (or Replication Identity). We

Do we want a limitation based on Primary Key, or would it be possible to
use just UNIQUE or is that covered under Replication Identity?

>    <para>
>      Logical Replication uses a Publish and Subscribe model with one or
>      more Subscribers subscribing to one or more Publications on a
>      Provider node. Subscribers pull data from the Publications they
>      subscribe to and may subsequently re-publish data to allow
>      cascading replication or more complex configurations.

Is that somehow different than Origin/Subscriber or Master/Slave? If
not, why are we using yet more terms?

> <sect1 id="publication">
>    <title>Publication</title>
>    <para>
>      A Publication object can be defined on any master node, owned by one
>      user. A Publication is a set of changes generated from a group of
>      tables, and might also be described as a Change Set or Replication Set.
>      Each Publication exists in only one database.
      Then on Provider database:
> <programlisting>
> CREATE PUBLICATION mypub;
> ALTER PUBLICATION mypub ADD TABLE users, departments;
> </programlisting>
>    </para>

Outside of my previous comments on reusing terminology that is known to
our community, I like this. Basically a user creates a pool that is
replicating, throws various ducks and small children into the pool and
then replicates. Nice.

Sincerely,

JD

--