Capacitors, etc., in hard drives and SSD for DBMS machines...

Why all this concern about how long a disk (or SSD) drive can stay up
after a power failure?

It seems to me that anyone interested in maintaining an important
database would have suitable backup power on their entire systems,
including the disk drives, so they could coast over any power loss.

I do not have any database that important, but my machine has an APC
Smart-UPS that has 2 1/2 hours of backup time with relatively new
batteries in it. It is so oversize because my previous computer used
much more power than this one does. And if my power company has a brown
out or black out of over 7 seconds, my natural gas fueled backup
generator picks up the load very quickly.

Am I overlooking something?

  /V\  PGP-Key:166D840A 0C610C8B Registered Machine  1935521.
 /( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey    http://linuxcounter.net
 ^^-^^ 06:15:01 up 36 days, 12:17, 2 users, load average: 4.16, 4.26, 4.30