Re: to_date_valid()

От Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Тема Re: to_date_valid()
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 05.07.2016 04:33, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 4, 2016 at 8:39 PM, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
> <adsmail@wars-nicht.de <mailto:adsmail@wars-nicht.de>>wrote:
>
>     On 04.07.2016 18:37, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>

>         I don't know if the name "strict" is best, but the name
>         "validate" is
>         not good too. Current to_date does some validations too.
>

>     Obviously not enough, because it allows invalid dates. I'd say that
>     the current to_date() merely validates the input format for string
>     parsing, and that the date is in range. But there is not much
>     validation on the date itself.
>
>     So the name can't be "strict" because of the conflict with "NULL"
>     handling, and you don't like "valid" - what other options do you offer?
>

> ​We don't have to change the name...we could do something like how
> RegularExpressions work - like (?i) - and just add  a new modifier ​code.
>
> ​'~YYYY-MI-DD' --that's a leading tilde, could be anything - even
> something like "HMYYYY-MI-DD" for "historical mode"

Where to_timestamp() already uses HH for the hour? If you add another
"H", that surely is confusing.

> It seems that fixing it is back on the table, possibly even for 9.6
> since this is such a hideous bug - one that closely resembles a cockroach ;)

9.6 is already in Beta, people are testing their applications against
it. This would be a huge break, plus an API change - something you don't
add in a Beta.

--             Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group