Re: to_date_valid()

От Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Тема Re: to_date_valid()
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 03.07.2016 07:05, Jaime Casanova wrote:
> El 2/7/2016 20:33, "Euler Taveira" <euler@timbira.com.br
> <mailto:euler@timbira.com.br>> escribió:
>  >
>  > On 02-07-2016 22:04, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
>  > > The attached patch adds a new function "to_date_valid()" which will
>  > > validate the date and return an error if the input and output date do
>  > > not match. Tests included, documentation update as well.
>  > >
>  > Why don't you add a third parameter (say, validate = true | false)
>  > instead of creating another function? The new parameter could default to
>  > false to not break compatibility.
>  >

> Shouldn't we fix this instead? Sounds like a bug to me. We don't usually
> want to be bug compatible so it doesn't matter if we break something.

There are previous discussions about such a change, and this was rejected:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/lbjf1v%24a2v%241%40ger.gmane.org
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/A737B7A37273E048B164557ADEF4A58B17C9140E%40ntex2010i.host.magwien.gv.at

Hence the new function, which does not collide with the existing
implementation.

Regards,

--             Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

От: Alexander Korotkov
Сообщение: Re: GiST optimizing memmoves in gistplacetopage for fixed-size updates [PoC]