Re: Lets (not) break all the things. Was: [pgsql-advocacy] 9.6 -> 10.0

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Lets (not) break all the things. Was: [pgsql-advocacy] 9.6 -> 10.0
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 05/13/2016 01:42 PM, Josh berkus wrote:
> On 05/13/2016 01:04 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>
>>> Anyway, all of this is a moot point, because nobody has the power to
>>> tell the various companies what to do.  We're just lucky that everyone
>>> is still committed to writing stuff which adds to PostgreSQL.
>>
>> Lucky? No. We earned it. We earned it through years and years of hard
>> work. Should we be thankful? Absolutely. Should we be grateful that we
>> have such a powerful and engaged commercial contribution base? 100%.
>
> Lucky.  Sure there was work and personal integrity involved, but like
> any success story, there was luck.
>
> But we've also been fortunate in not spawning hostile-but-popular forks
> by people who left the project, and that none of the companies who
> created hostile forks were very successful with them, and that nobody
> has seriously tried using lawyers to control/ruin the project.

I can't get behind you on this. Everything you have said above has to do
with the hard work and integrity of the people in this project. It isn't
luck or divine intervention.

> And, most importantly, we've been lucky that a lot of competing projects
> have self-immolated instead of being successful and brain-draining our
> contributors (MySQL, ANTS, MonetDB, etc.)

Actually there are people that have been drained out, I won't name them
but it is pretty easy to figure out who they are. The people that are
left, especially the long timers are here because of their integrity and
attachment to the project.

This project builds good people, and the good people build a good project.

I am not going to buy into a luck story for something I and many others
have invested decades of their life into.

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc.                  http://the.postgres.company/                        +1-503-667-4564