Re: 9.6 -> 10.0

От Petr Jelinek
Тема Re: 9.6 -> 10.0
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On 12/05/16 18:09, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 05:43:28PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>
>> On May 12, 2016 17:36, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>>> In a master/slave setup with pg_logical, a major upgrade is _near_
>>> zero-downtime, because you have to switch over all write transactions at
>>> a single point in time when you promote the slave to master.  So you
>>> have to either prevent new write transactions from going to the slave
>>> while you wait for the master transactions to finish, or (more likely)
>>> you have to terminate the write transactions on the master and then
>>> promote the slave to master and allow everything to reconnect.
>>>
>>> (In practice, you can't change a read/write server to read-only without
>>> a restart, so effectively all old-master transactions have to be drained
>>> at some point.)
>>
>> You can make it closer to, or completely zero, if you combine it with pgbouncer
>> in transaction pooling mode. There will be a performance hiccup, but it should
>> work.
>
> That is an interesting approach.  How many applications are prepared to
> re-sent a transaction block based on the error returned by pgbouncer in
> this case?
>
> I am thinking our docs need a new section about reducing downtime during
> switch-over, and using logical replication for major version upgrades.

There is no error, in pgbouncer you can pause connections while waiting
for running transactions to finish, change the config for the databases
to point to the new server and then on resume and it will send the new
transactions to the new server. From application point of view this
looks like momentary latency increase, not as error. I did live demo of
this using continuously running pgbench during the upgrade/switchover on
several conferences.

The other point I want to make is that pglogical does already have
builtin simple conflict resolution (simple as in no custom resolution
methods, only the predefined last update wins, first update wins, always
apply remote data, always keep local data resolutions) so necessity of
disabling writes on the source database largely depends on the application.