Re: 9.6 -> 10.0

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: 9.6 -> 10.0
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On 05/09/2016 09:42 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

>     > Because it grants a larger advocacy opportunity and shows the amount of
>     > effort that went into 9.6Devel/10.0.
>     >
>     > There is every advocacy reason to name it 10.0 so why wouldn't we?
>     >
>     > Because it will potentially cheapen the value of moving to 11.0 unless
>     > we are predictably conservative about our release versioning process.
>

> Are you saying it's 10.0 that has a special magic meaning, or just the
> bump of the super-major version number or whatever we call it?
>
> I'm not sure I buy that argument in general. There's *always* going to
> be a next release.
>
> And we already have a version numbering scheme that confuses people :)

I am saying that lesser mortals by default will think something is
cooler, hotter, more awesome than reality based on a large version jump.
It is a proven marketing method.

But see my earlier post about just wanting a decision. In short, could
-core or the release team review the thread, provide some leadership and
let us all get on with it?

Sincerely,

JD

                         +1-503-667-4564