Re: Docbook 5.x

От Jürgen Purtz
Тема Re: Docbook 5.x
Дата
Re: Docbook 5.x  (Alexander Law <exclusion@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-docs
On 04.05.2016 17:08, Alexander Law wrote:
> As was stated in the aforementioned thread, solution 2 can be much
> (8x) faster with some xslt optimizations, but I think now we should
> outline some roadmap before we start to prepare patches and so.
> Maybe we should convert to XML with DocBook4 at first step?
> Then, once we get everything stabilized, we can upgrade to DocBook5.
> Shouldn't we decompose the conversion procedure, so we could perform
> fully automatic conversion without any manual changes, and then fix
> non-valid situations, you described before?

Hello Alexander,

I havn't seen your xslt optimization so far. What have you done? Where
can I find the optimized script or a description?

"Divide and conquer" is a good strategy and people use it in many cases.
As you have stated, there are two major steps: from db4-sgml to db4-xml
and from there to db5-xml. In parallel to the second one we shall
migrate from dsl scripts to db5-xslt scripts. Your idea to go step by
step and stabilise at the intermediate level is good in general. But in
this case it may be unnecessary. The first step is very small. It
consists mainly of the elimination of shorttags and empty elements. This
is a pure formal act without risk. If we would stop at this point,
people are forced to switch their environment, eg .emacs from db4-sgml
to db4-xml - and after the second step to db5-xml. This is possible -
but the twice changing will bring (possibly) more confusion than
advantages. The real challenge is the second step as it implies some
manual modifications (entities, non-valid markup in sense of db5-schema)
and a switch to a different output chain. Maybe we can live for a while
with some files, which are not valid against db5-schema - as far as the
output chain produces correct results.

Jürgen Purtz