Re: Docbook 5.x

От Jürgen Purtz
Тема Re: Docbook 5.x
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
Hello,

the conversion of PostgreSQL documentation from Docbook 4.x to 5.x consists of the following steps:
  1. pure sgml --> xml conversion (done, Perl script)
  2. 4.x markup --> 5.x markup (done, Docbook standard migration script)
  3. post-processing of 5.x files (done, Perl: xi:include, entities, ...)
  4. generate the complete file postgres_all.xml with xmllint (done)
  5. generate online documentation (html, man, text)
  6. generate print documentation (rtf, pdf)
  7. adopt Makefile to the new situation
After step 3 we have well-formed xml files, most of them are valid against Docbook 5.0 xsd. Actually the following non-valid situations occur:
  • a lot of unknown xref targets, as the target exists in a different file
  • 4 remaining sgml-entities: standalone-xxx and include-xxx
  • some markups, which are not valid in 5.x, mostly with <synopsis> and <function>. This must be resolved manually (5.x offers comprehensive possibilities for very detailed markups with <funcsynopsis> and <cmdsynopsis>)
Steps 5 and 6 implies the replacement of our dsssl script with xslt scripts. I guess that this is much more difficult and lengthy than everything else I have done in this project so far. Furthermore I don't have any knowledge about dsssl. And this is the reason why I write this mail. Is anybody out there who can support me for the dsssl --> xslt conversion - or at least can answer questions like:
  • Is our file stylesheet.dsl written from scratch - or is it derived from any docbook 1/2/3/4.x generic stylesheet?
  • Which person has developed this file?
  • What is the role of the *.xsl files in the sgml-directory and how do they collaborate with stylesheet.dsl?
Regards, Jürgen