Re: Processes and caches in postgresql

От Petr Jelinek
Тема Re: Processes and caches in postgresql
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 03/05/16 16:35, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On 3 May 2016 at 21:37, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com
> <mailto:mmoncure@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     There is library out there, unfortunately GPL licensed, that attempts
>     to fully implement posix including fork(): http://midipix.org/.  One
>     of these days I'd like to have a go at porting postgres to it.
>

> ... and here I thought you'd be keen to instead remove all use of
> globals and 'static' locals to allow thread-safe state tracking, remove
> use of shmem, introduce threaded backends, replace use of signals, and
> release ThreadedPostgres.
>
> Sounds fun, right? :p
>
> More seriously, shouldn't Microsoft's new (or at least re-blessed and
> re-released with a new paint job) Linux/POSIX support offer us some
> options here? I suspect not - they're probably restricted to ELF
> binaries that won't be able to link to native Windows DLLs to get
> support for things like SSPI auth, native Windows SSL API use, etc. But
> it's worth keeping the possibility in mind.

Yes the linux emulation is restricted to it's own world, it can't access
any windows native binaries.

The other thing is that MS repeatedly said that they plan this as purely
developer feature and you should not use it for deploying anything.

--   Petr Jelinek                  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/  PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training &
Services