Re: CREATE EXTENSION without superuser access

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: CREATE EXTENSION without superuser access
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 04/27/2016 04:06 PM, Steve Atkins wrote:

> [...]
relativeto the installation's SHAREDIR directory. The default behavior is equivalent to specifying directory =
'extension'.

>>> That's a useful feature, for sure, but I think the control file itself still needs to be in the .../extensions
directory.

>> Yeah, that would be a problem, I needed to read a couple of paragraphs up from the above:(
>>
>> Got to thinking, when you say root do you really mean root or the user the database cluster is initdb'ed as?
>
> Neither - I don't have write access to the postgresql extensions directory.
>
> The use case for me is distributing an enterprise app that talks to a database which the people who use the app don't
haveadministrative access to. The admins who install and run the database don't install extensions (they're not
responsive,they just don't trust third party extensions, ...). For most of my users the database would be running on a
machinethey have filesystem access to, so being able to point to SQL scripts in another directory would be enough, but
ina few cases it's running on a separate system and they only have access via port 5432.

> Any solution that didn't require filesystem access at all would probably be really convenient for people using
managedPostgreSQL services too.

I see and suspected as much, I just do not like to assume. Yes, that is
a problem:

https://github.com/keithf4/pg_partman
"I've received many requests for being able to install this extension on
Amazon RDS. RDS does not support third-party extension management
outside of the ones it has approved and provides itself. "

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

От: Steve Atkins
Сообщение: Re: CREATE EXTENSION without superuser access
От: "David Bennett"
Сообщение: Re: Proper relational database?